The Art of Historic Preservation

Monday, October 12, 2015

Warriors Stadium

The Warriors have formally acquired the 12-acre site of its future sports & entertainment complex in Mission Bay »

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – The Golden State Warriors Monday announced their formal acquisition of a 12-acre waterfront site in San Francisco’s Mission Bay neighborhood where they plan to build a 18,000-seat arena as well as two office towers.

“The Warriors are making an unprecedented, $1 billion-plus investment in San Francisco. We’re the only sports team in America doing this all with private funds, on private land, with no public subsidy.” – Rick Welts, Warriors President and COO

He said the project will generate $40 million for transit improvements and add millions of dollars to city coffers annually.
In addition to the arena and two office towers on the site, the Warriors anticipate construction of cafes, restaurants, and public plazas.

Artist Rendering of the New Warrior's Stadium at Mission Bay

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Merging the Past, Present and Future in Silicon Valley

(St. James Street, between First and Second streets, Downtown San Jose)

1st Church Christ Scientist
"The First Church of Christ Scientist was designed by Willis Polk and built in 1905. The plan of the building is a Greek cross. Four Ionic columns dominate the entry portico. Since the construction of a new church in 1946, the building has been used for a variety of purposes. Its scale and dignity make it an important contributor to the city’s architectural heritage. High-rise housing is now planned around the vacant building."...from the Downtown History Walk webpage.

This beautiful building has been part of the downtown San Jose landscape for 110 years.
The Church's  Majestic Profile
Since 1946, the 1st Church of Christ Scientist building has been used as a theater, a child care center and a rehearsal hall for the Children's Musical Theater. 
In the late 1960's and early 1970's, it was known as the "Garden of Allah Theater" and showed underground and independent films.

Though the building is currently in major disrepair, it's
Rendering of Church From
the Fountain at St. James park
historic designation ensures it will be not be torn down. Barry Swenson Builders has plans to make the historic church the centerpiece of a beautifully designed luxury condominium complex. Part of the new plan calls for the building to be moved to another location on the current lot.

We are currently negotiating with the contractor to digitally document the building before the construction process begins for historic purposes. Digitally documenting the building prior to construction will preserve the building in it's original location for History San Jose's archives.

There are also several benefits to the larger project, should the construction professionals choose to utilize the data we collect. For example, documenting the building and property prior to construction will give the contractor(s) a precise "as-exist" point cloud of the area that can be imported to AutoCad, Revit, Point Tools or other appropriate software packages.
Rendering of Park View Towers Complex w/
the Christian Scientist Church as the Centerpiece

With a point cloud, the relocation of the building can be done to millimeter accuracy, virtually and 

prior to the actual physical move; saving time and money for the contractor. To take this a step further, the entire construction project, including the high-rise condominiums can be designed by and built virtually.  
Once the data is collected, there literally dozens of things that it could be used for, both in the immediate and long term future for the complex. Everything from green building design and planning to facility maintenance and operations.

Park View Towers Consist of Two Buildings
of a 12 Story and 18 Story 

Once again, our tool of choice for this unique project is the FARO 3D Focus Laser Scanner. For this  particular project, we plan to use the FARO 330 Long Range Scanner. It's extended range is ideal for capturing the the building and surrounding property, providing us with the essential data required by the architects, general contractor, surveyors and most importantly for us, the preservationist. 
FARO 3D Focus
Laser Scanner

We've enjoyed tremendous success with FARO products...Lightweight, sturdy, easy to operate with superior quality; FARO Technologies

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Local Preservation Efforts Continue

The Reality Capture Technology Training Center at History Park.

This fly-through video of the Historic Zanker House at History Park in San Jose developed and completed by Minh Chau Doan, an 11th grade student at San Jose's Notre Dame High School.
 The point cloud contains more than 400,000,000 data points and was developed using a FARO Technologies 3D Focus Laser scanner.
FARO 3D Focus

Built in 1868, the Zanker House was moved to History Park
in 1987 and restored in 1988

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Arch Diocese of San Jose- The Historic Cathedral Basilica of Saint Joseph

The Beautiful Cathedral Basilica of Saint Joseph
Downtown San Jose, California.
The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Joseph, located in Downtown San Jose, is the cathedral for the Roman Catholic Diocese in San Jose. The Basilica is named for Saint Joseph, patron saint of the universal church.
The first non-parish church built in California, the original church was called San Jose de Guadalupe. The adobe structure was built at the current site of the basilica in 1803.

...Following the Renovation in 1990

The first church was damaged by earthquakes in 1818 and 1822. A new adobe church was built from 1835 to 1846. The second church was severely damaged by the 1868 Hayward quake and work began in 1869. The third church was destroyed by fire in 1875. A temporary fourth church was built a few blocks away while construction began on the fifth church.

Interior Stain Glass Ceiling is 48' Above
the Cathedral Floor

The fifth church was dedicated by the Archbishop of San Francisco, Joseph Alemany, in 1877 while still under construction. The current portico was completed in 1884 and the large dome was completed in 1885. A major renovation project began in 1981 and in 1985 the basilica was elevated to a cathedral pending the completion of the renovation in 1990.

Amazing Technology.

These cables were extended around the interior of the dome to provide support and prevent the dome from expanding outward. The large bolts were used to tighten or loosen the tension as needed. Amazingly, these domes survived the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake. Seismic support systems were added to the ceilings and domes following the '89 quake.

Seismic Retrofits To Ceiling Added
Post 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake

The Beautiful Interior of the
Cathedral Basilica
The cathedral survive the 1989 Loma Prieta quake and subsequent seismic bracing was added to support the ceilings and domes of the building.

The cathedral was made a minor basilica by Pope John Paul II in 1997.
The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Joseph is listed as a California Historical Landmark and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Among the Rubble in Downtown San Jose
following the 1906 Earthquake, the Domes of the
Cathedral of Saint Joseph stand in the background.

View of the Dome From the Roof

The Portico Completed
in 1884


The Original Dome
Still Exist
The familiar large dome on top of the cathedral hides a great secret. Rather than destroy the original smaller dome, the architects simply built the larger dome on top of it. The original dome can still be seen and accessed by people working in the ceilings and on the roofs.

Seismic Bracing to the Interior Dome
Added Post 1989 Loma Preita Earthquake
Dome on top of Dome

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Mission Santa Clara de Asis

The Digital Documentation of the Historic El Camino Real

El Camino Real (Spanish for the Royal Road also known as the Kings Highway) refers to the 600 mile (966 km) California Mission Trail, connecting the former Alta California's 21 Missions and a number of submissions, 4 Presidios, 3 Pueblos stretching from Mission San Diego de Alcala' in the South to Mission San Francisco Solano in Sonoma, Northern California.
CyArk  and their partners are currently working to digitally document all of the buildings along the historic California Mission Trail.

Early History
Mission Santa Clara de Asis  Founded in 1777

Oldest University in California

1769- First European Explorer, Gaspar de Portola’- traveled from Monterey up coast to SF.

1770’s Juan Bautista de Anza describes Santa Clara Valley as a broad grassy plain covered with oaks, well watered with marshy creeks and rivers, whose courses could be traced from a distance by trees growing along their banks.

1773 Spanish Viceroy Antonio Bucareli called for the exploration and occupation of the SF Bay Region to secure the valuable port of SF from Russian and British expansion.

1774 Viceroy Bucareli to select sites for future missions. Original site was on San Francisquito Creek near the Palo Alto redwood tree. Two years later, the site was changed to a place on a river to the southeast called Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe (Our Lady of Guadalupe)

1776 Mission San Francisco de Asis (Mission Delores) founded

1776 Governor Rivera left Monterey with Fray Tomas’ de la Pena to make one last survey of Palo Alto site

1777, January 12th-  Fray de la Pena held the first Mass at the new Mission Santa Clara de Asis, the eighth mission in California

1777, December- Padres and assistants complete the church and priests’ residents. Another house was under construction. Original buildings were upright logs with dirt roofs. There were two corrals and a wooden bridge across the Guadalupe.

1779, January-  the Guadalupe River overflowed its’ banks, destroying the mission

1779, November- temporary church opened further from the banks of the river. Search for permanent location is ongoing

1781, November 19th- cornerstone for the third Mission Church was laid.

1784, May- construction on the third church with 4’ thick adobe walls completed. Dimensions: 100’ long x 22’ wide x 20’ high

Mission Santa Clara circa. 1785
1818, Mission Church suffers severe earthquake damage. A temporary adobe site was built on the present site of Kenna Hall (1819-1825) Building was raised in 1867

1822, Mexico gained independence from Spain

1830’s,1840’s Mission operated as a parish serving the religious needs of the town of San Jose.

1836, Mission Santa Clara secularized

1849, San Jose’s population grows due to gold rush

1850, Bishop f California, Joseph Sadoc Alemany offered buildings at  Mission Santa Clara to John Nobili of San Jose to open a school.

1851, March 4th- Bishop Alemany appoints John Nobili pastor of Mission Santa Clara

1851, May- Santa Clara College, the first in the State of California, began instructing students

1861, Mission Church remodeled
Mission Santa Clara
Post 1861 remodel

1885, Mission Church interior remodeled to increase seating capacity

1926, October 4th- Mission Church destroyed by fire, caused by faulty wiring. Students managed to save many statues and paintings

Mission Fire 1926

1926, Reconstruction of the church began almost immediately. Rather than a duplication of the church that just burned, the restoration attempted to recapture the appearance of the 1825 church.

Mission Santa Clara Today

 History Of Mission Santa Clara de Asis Teresa Pugh
Mission Santa Clara website

Saturday, January 17, 2015

HISTORIC LOSSES: The Urgency of Preservation

Holy Cross Church
Built in 1919, The historic Holy Cross Church is a San Jose landmark

71 year-old Virginia Sacchi commutes from the Berryessa neighborhood of San Jose. The fire threw her off guard. “I could not believe it. I could not believe it. But God say this had to happen, but this church will be builded again. We just kind of pray and do for the best.”...KQED News

The historic Holy Cross Church was destroyed by fire in November 2014

Parishioners Witnessing 
the Destruction of this Historic Church 

The destruction of this historic building is the latest in a number of devastating losses.

The Kelley Mansion

The Kelley Mansion 

In 1861 Judge Lawrence Archer purchased 160 acres just outside of San José’s city limits. He named the property around Coyote Creek “Lone Oak.” Archer moved his family in 1869, from their downtown home to a two-story house surrounded by elaborate gardens and accessed by two avenues lined with pepper, cypress and eucalyptus trees. There he grew orchards of prunes, apricots, walnuts, and was especially proud of his cherries. A well respected resident and attorney, Archer came to California in 1852 and settled in San Jose in 1853. Active in community service, he was Mayor of San José in 1856 and 1878; a County Judge from 1867 – 71; and served at State Assemblyman from 1875 – 76. Archer left his “Lone Oak” property to his only daughter, Louise Archer Flavin Kelley. She inherited the land in 1910 and it became known as “Ar-Kel” an abbreviation of her maiden and married names...From HSJ webapage. www.historysanjoseorg

The Kelley Mansion
Fell Into Disrepair Over The Years

After sitting abandoned for many years, the Kelley Mansion fell into disrepair. In 1994,estimates to rebuild the historic home were in nearly $2 million

In February 2012, the Kelley House was destroyed by a two alarm fire. For the past 34 months, the home has sat abandoned and exposed to the elements. The damage to the
roof of the home was extensive; seventy percent of the roof was damaged by the fire. The remainder of the roof was damaged due to time and the elements. Like many of these local landmarks, there were no existing blueprints, floor plans or diagrams. The photo above is the only photo I could find of the Kelley House prior to the fire that devastated the home in 2012.

The Kelley House is scheduled for demolition in early February 2015.

This year marks the beginning of our five year project to digitally document the history of San Jose through unique and iconic architecture.

We are currently collaborating with the Preservation Action Council to identify structures that are in jeopardy and in urgent need of documentation and preservation. Here's  a couple of buildings that are at the top of our list:

Built in 1905, the First Church of Christ Scientist Building was in use until a new church was built in 1946. Afterwards, the building was used for a variety of uses. It's been abandoned for decades.

1st Church of Christ Scientist

Century 21 Theater
 While the debate continues on whether or not these buildings are worthy of recognition as historically significant examples architecture, there is no doubt that the Century Theaters are a perfect example of the cultural history here in San Jose.

Opening in 1964, the Century Theater's unique "Dome" deign was considered "space age" and "futuristic". 
The Century 21 Theater closed in 2014.
The other domed theaters, Century 22-25 have all been
Century Theater's
Iconic Domed Theaters
raised, the Century 21 is the last of these iconic buildings.